Here we come to the conclusion of Act 1, a sad, sad time for any audience of a play. However, there's still two more acts to go! At the top of the act we meet the lovely couple Nora and Torvald Helmer. They have a very... interesting relationship. Nora, being the gutsy character she is, doesn't show this side to Torvald. His demeaning character makes her take on the role of a frivolous wife; always asking him for money, playing like she's beneath him, and telling him that she can't manage without him. In one part she even says, "Yes, Torvald, I can't do anything without you to help me" (Ibsen 178). Alas, her squandering has reason behind it. When trying to save her husband though, she makes the brave action of forging her father's signature. This is where Krogstad comes in. Krogstad has a blistered past as well and is trying to recover his image. Nonetheless, he also holds a false facade. His sneaky personality gives him the power to come into contact with the thing that could ruin Nora's marriage. He knows about her forgery and comes back at her with, "The curious thing, Mrs. Helmer, is that your father signed this note of hand three days after his death" (Ibsen 174).
Another character we meet in Act 1 is Mrs. Linde. Looking for a job, Mrs. Linde comes to Nora for help after hearing that Torvald is being promoted to bank manager in the new year. With his new advancement, Mrs. Linde hopes he can land her a job at the bank. If you were in Torvald's position, would you succumb to your wife's influence in letting her friend join the bank? Dr. Rank, another man we meet along the way, is a doctor with tuberculosis of the spine. The poor man is holding on by a string. Out of the blue he professes his love to Nora. She is shocked by this and tells him that she must be faithful to her husband who loves her dearly. This reminds me of a TV show called The Office. On this sitcom, the boss Michael always flirts with his young receptionist Pam and tells her frequently how attractive she is. This reminds me of old Dr. Rank hitting on Nora...yuck!
I loved that part of Act I when Dr.Rank confesses his love for Nora. I was shocked by his affections for her although Mrs. Linde hinted at their suspicious relationship. Even though Nora was provoking him to confess his love, I was saddened by these being Dr.Rank's last few days.
ReplyDeleteI commented on Noelle's, Rushika's, James', and Emily's blogs.
ReplyDeleteIf I was in Torvald's position I would not have listened to my wife's influence in giving Mrs. Linde the job. After all Torvald would not listen to Nora when she wanted Helmer to let Krogstad keep his position. He could not dare listen to his wife. So no Torvald probably would not have listened but in this case he did.
ReplyDeleteI know that if I was in Torvald's position I would not let the influence of my wife make me hire her friend. That's just not how business works. I do feel that he did it in return to her because he thinks that Nora always obeys what he says. If he were to find out about the forgery of her father's signature he would never cater to any of her wants. She also approached the situation in a manipulative manner, which also could've contributed to his decision.
ReplyDeleteI actually find it romantic in act 1. Especially when Dr. Rank confessed to Nora that was really sweet of him. Though it was rude of her to just through away his love. If I were in Torvald's position I would listen to my wife , because that's the right thing to do.
ReplyDeleteIF i was in Torvald's position i wouldn't let Nora influence my decision that easily. Torvald is going to be promoted to a higher position in the bank, the place where a lot of money is being handled. I would't totally disregard Nora's recommendation but I can't take her opinion to easily, it would be unprofessional.
ReplyDeleteI noted that in you're blog you referred to Nora and Torvald as a "lovely couple". I thought that description was funny because I truly find they're relationship to be more so disgusting than lovely. The way in which they interact with each other is sickening to read. He talks to her as if she's a child and she completely accepts it.
ReplyDelete