SCENE: Krogstad and Helmer at the bank. They are sitting in Helmer's new office.
KROGSTAD[calmly]: I don't quite understand what you're saying, Torvald.
TORVALD[rising with an angry tone in his voice]: What do you mean you don't understand?! You basically ruined my life! My wife has left me and now you expect me to just magically give you your job back?! Has everyone gone mad, or is it I who have gone crazy? You are an awful man, Krogstad, an awful, wretched, hypocrite of a man!
KROGSTAD: First of all, it was you who ruined your marriage. Second of all, I only ask for my job or any smaller job to support my family. [Offended] And please, tell my why I'm a hypocrite.
TORVALD: I'll tell you why! It's because you told me that you would never do anything against the law, and you should know, being a lawyer, that forgery is, in fact, a crime.
KROGSTAD[rising to leave but still calm]: Look, I'm sorry Nora left you, and I'm sorry that you are depressed and can't find solace in anything else but a mere drink. I'm sorry this happened to you, I truly am, but it is not my fault that it happened. Your wife... well... ex-wife, made a choice and her choice was to break the law. Plus, neither of us can help the fact that she ran off with that Dr. Rank fellow. I must say, she must see a lot in a man who is decrepit and dying. However, this does not mean you can just keep evading your duties to the bank. I'm sorry, Torvald, but all your feelings for Nora need to be suppressed and put on the back-burner for a bit while you try to figure this job out. [He starts to leave out the office door.]
TORVALD[chasing after him and yelling]: You have no right to say what you just said to me! You don't know true love do you! You're lover left you for some filthy rich swine who wound up dying anyway. Do you think she ever really loved you? She obviously did not. She is just crawling back to you now because she knows that your incompetence will fall for her feminine tricks!
KROGSTAD[offended and slightly mad at Torvald, he pauses and says]: Goodbye, Mr. Helmer. [Leaves without looking back.]
I commented on Noelle's, Danyelle's, Connor's, and Gordon's blogs.
ReplyDeleteI commented on Noelle's, Danyelle's, Connor's, and Gordon's blogs.
ReplyDeleteI liked you're alternate ending. I never would've thought that Krogstad would want to work for Helmer again. Also I love how you made Dr.Rank and Nora be together I have always wished they would be.
ReplyDeleteI like how you showed how spiteful Helmer is and how depressed and cynical he is now that he is alone. It seems like a very realistic depiction of what would happen. I also liked how you made Krogstad seam like less of a villain than the play itself. I always thought that he was being shown as a bit more of a villain than he should have. ππππ
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your ending. It showed how messed up and self-destructive Helmer has become with Nora's absence. In the end it shows Krogstad is more mature to leave things as they are, as if he was too superior to stoop to Helmer's level.o
ReplyDeleteI found it very interesting that you focused on Helmer and Krogstad rather than Nora. It leaves more to be said about the situation but it was very refreshing to have an uncompromising, realistic depiction of Krogstad and Helmer's ultimate confrontation and breakup sort of.
ReplyDeleteI thought it was interesting that you used Torvald and Krogstad as the subject for this ending. Torvald seemed to stay in character, as he continued to blame his other people for his problems. I also liked that Krogstad showed a side that he didn't show much in the story in that he was more than just the antagonist.
ReplyDelete